Wednesday 30 October 2013

The . . . Enchanted Forest?

The laboratory I work in is located in a rather remote area compared to the rest of the university and the center of the city.  Considering the offices and departments located here, I suspect that the campus was organized to house anything to do with the words "nuclear," "radiation," or "particle" in the last forty years.  It is a quiet campus, and a decent walk from the nearest bus stop.

With all the rain that Belgium gets as part of its normal fall weather, I was not surprised to see lots of mushrooms and moss popping up outside the laboratory.  I was surprised to see this one, though:


 That is the biggest mushroom I ever seen, growing nonchalantly with some mushroom buddies in the moss (it's not grass) under a tree, outside the physics building.
 I think it says something about just how quiet this campus is that the mushrooms could grow so big before something either kicked them over or ate them.
 I realized after taking these pictures, though, that none of them really tell viewers how big that mushroom is.  I am not a good enough photographer to do it artistically, so I went for a more direct comparison.
Those are my toes.  I wear a women's size US 9 shoe.

No comments: